Monday, February 1, 2016

Rusty Irish Red 1/31/15

The first batch of Rusty Irish Red is now in the Fermenter.  I had a few problems with the recirculation sticking but once I slowed it to a trickle it seemed to be fine.  I have never had to run it that slow.  Even with the problems, the mash efficiency was still a little over 95%.  I am back to sparging with this batch and it seems to have worked well.  I detected no off flavors with the wort.  One thing I need to add to my procedure is a whirlpool after chilling the wort.  The whirlpool during chilling does not seem to be separating much of the hot/cold break.

Update *** 2/9/16

The OG came out a bit higher than I was shooting for at 1.050 which should push the ABV to a little over 5%.  After 2 days I was kind of freaking out that the air lock was not bubbling so I attempted to tighten the lid a bit.  I was easily able to screw and unscrew it and it was not making a squeak from the silicone gasket.  That is when I discovered that the gasket had fallen into the fermenter!  I fortunately had a spare gasket that I sanitized and put in place.  Needless to say the air lock went totally crazy!  After a full 5 days I emptied the yeast catcher and there was enough yeast in the cone to fill it again.  I plan to dump again at the 10 day mark and count that as the beginning of secondary.  I plan to secondary for about 2 weeks before kegging.

No comments:

Post a Comment