Wednesday, March 25, 2015

New Coil Installed!



As you can see, the HERMS coil is installed and ready to test!  I placed the coil as low as possible while leaving 2 inches between the bottom ring and the element.  The thermowell is about 1.5 inches above the top coil.  I also modified the recirculation inlet tube at the bottom of the picture so that the water is forced between the two HERMS bulkheads.  With this setup I only need 7 gallons in the vessel for there to be 1/2 inch of water over the thermowell.  Bringing the temp up for mash out should take only a couple of minutes and the only water I will need to add during the brew process will be cold water to bring the HLT temp down after dough in.




In the picture above you can see the changes I made to the MLT.  I put a return bulkhead in the top edge.  I am now reading the temperature of the recirculating wort just as it passes back into the MLT.  Between this temperature and the reading from the MLT body thermometer I should be able to manage the process much better and with greater accuracy.  You can also see that I made up a couple of new 18 inch quick connect hoses specifically for use during HERMS.  I was able to eliminate over 3 feet of hose which should help lessen temperature loss.  As I mentioned in my previous post, I plan to put two layers of insulation on the new MLT lid.  Another plan I have which is strictly for looks, is to curve and attach a 12 by 18 inch sheet of thin polished aluminum to the front of the MLT and put a vinyl cut-out of my logo on it.



This is a picture of the new HERMS plumbing layout.  I can't wait to give this thing a test run and gather some data on the new coil!

No comments:

Post a Comment