Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Pump Plumbing Change and Updates


Well I finally got a photo to post of one the pumps with the new plumbing setup.  The input is now located on top and the priming and output valves are on the bottom.  A lot of people seem to think it is necessary to put the input on the bottom but my testing proves otherwise.  I have no problem priming and this layout actually seems more logical.  I put the elbow in just to shorten the the width.  I also switched the full size priming valve with a mini-valve that I had been using on the old HERMS coil.  I didn't realize it but these mini-valves restrict the flow down to 3/8".   This was just not acceptable for the new 1/2" coil.

I also got the thermometer installed in the MLT and both the hose barb and elbow fitting for the false bottom installed.  I am still waiting for my new coil, its bulkhead fittings, the inlet bulkhead for the MLT and a few female quick connect fittings.  Once these things are all installed my entire system will be 1/2" ID plumbing through out!

Due to a delay in getting the coil, I am considering moving the brew day back a week.... This will give me time to not only install the new gear but also hook up the ventilation hose and do some much needed testing.  The new brew date should be 4/4!   I am planning to brew a 5 gallon batch of American style wheat beer!

 OOOhhh.... One other thing I decided to do was to put a quick connect female and male on either end of the T fitting I am using for the HERMS output temperature sensor.  This will allow me to connect it in several different places in the system for testing and also connect it directly to the inlet bulkhead for the MLT while mashing.  Having it directly connected to the MLT will give me a much more accurate reading on the temperature of wort entering the MLT after passing through the coil.
I will post a photo as soon as the hardware is installed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment