Thursday, March 5, 2015

New pump configuration and other updates



One of the major things I discovered on brew day was that my MLT was too high for me to see the water level from my wheelchair.   Through some experimentation I was able to determine that I needed it lowered by about 3 inches.  With the mess of hose fittings and the pump configuration this was going to be impossible without moving the pumps.  My solution was to mount the pump housings on the shelf instead of in front of it and re-orient the fittings and heads to the configuration you see in the photo above.  As you can see I was able to lower the MLT to an appropriate height and also make the hose routing easier to follow.  The only other change that is coming  to the pumps is the addition of a street elbow off the outlet side of the T-fitting that will be connected to the outlet valve.  This will shorten the outlet stack and point the outlet valve and male quick connect toward the front.  (This is hard to explain... I will post a photo when I get one done.)

I also increased the height of my BK with an inch and a half thick wooden round from Lowes.  The additional height will allow a fermentation bucket to fit under the ball valve so I can drain it without using a pump.  I will also be putting one of the wooden rounds under the HLT.

There are even more changes to come:
  • Change out three of the straight female quick connects with 90 degree ones.  This should help prevent hose kinks when the silicone is hot.
  • Install the old ball valve thermometer in the front of the MLT at the 4 gallon mark to give me a better idea of the over all MLT temperature.
  • Install a permanent 1/2" stainless HERMS coil in the HLT.   This should be more efficient, easier to clean and move the brewery toward a full 1/2" flow. 
  • Update the false bottom elbow/hose barb and internal inlet hose and hose barb to 1/2".  This also will increase the liquid flow.
  • Install a 1/2" bulkhead at the top edge of the MLT with a male quick connect on the outside and 1/2" hose barb on the inside.  This will increase liquid flow, allow for easier operation of the lid and make things more streamlined on brew day.
  •  Add two 18" hoses with straight female quick disconnects.  This will make brew day easier and cut down on heat loss during HERMS.
  • Install the outside part of the venting system and the flexible hose.  This can not be done until the outdoor temp is over 70 degrees to prevent damage to the vinyl siding.  The aroma was a bit much and lasted for too many days after brewing.
  • Install wire supports on the walls to raise the electrical and sensor wires off the floor.
I am planning my next brew day for Saturday March 28th, and plan to have implemented these changes by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment