Tuesday, January 12, 2016

No Sparge Brewing...?!?!

This past weekend I tried a technique called no-sparge brewing in an effort to shorten and simply my brew day.  You do this by mashing with the total amount of water necessary to obtain your full pre-boil volume.   This technique is definitely nothing new to the brew-in-a-bag folks as they have always done it this way.  The main drawback to no-sparge seems to be about a 10% drop in efficiency making it necessary to use a bit more grain to achieve your target OG.  Beings I have a HERMS system I decided to go ahead and use it to maintain temperature and recirculate during the entire mash and mash-out.  The results were way beyond my expectations!  My mash efficiency came out at 90%!!!  I will definitely continue to use this technique on small session beers that require less than 12 lbs of grain.  If I had something like this I would be able to do all my beers this way!

No comments:

Post a Comment