Friday, January 29, 2016

To Sparge or Not to Sparge.....

I was convinced after tasting the pre-fermentation wort for my 5-Kilowatt Blonde No-Sparge batch that this technique would help me further reduce the chance of astringency in my beer.  I was wrong. Don't get me wrong, most people would not even notice it but due to my on going battle with this issue I am hyper sensitive to it....  That being said, the English Pale ale I made before this using my standard fly sparging actually was less astringent.   Sooooo.... considering that it may have only saved me about 10 minutes of my brew day, I think I am going back to sparging.

*** Update (2/15/16)

After a bit more time, any astringency is completely gone.  The beer is now crystal clear!  Will I try another no-sparge batch?  Most definitely!   10 minutes is 10 minutes...... Besides, now that I have the giant mash tun it should be even easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment