Friday, February 27, 2015

First Brew Day set for March 1st!!!



Well if all goes as planned and my White Labs WLP200 Best of Both Worlds yeast is still alive after 3 months in the refrigerator, Sunday March 1st will be the first brew day on the new electric system!

I will be making a 5 gallon batch of Norther Brewer Irish Red Ale All-Grain.  I have made this recipe several times and love the way it comes out with the WLP200 yeast.  The yeast is very fast and clean fermenting.  In my opinion it comes out very lager like which makes it an extremely good session beer.

Testing has gone well with a few exceptions:

  • I had to add a fan to the heat sync for the boil kettle.  Even though the SSR was properly paired and installed with the sync it would over heat and stick in the closed position after being on at 100% for more than 20 minutes.  The fan seems to have solved the problem.
  • My design for the measuring the temp of the outgoing HERMS liquid was way to complicated  and used too much hose and too many fittings.  The result was a temp drop of 5 degrees between the HLT and MLT during HERMS.  With the sensor assembly screwed directly into the HERMS coil output, it only drops 2 degrees.
  • The long dip tube on the HLT return port was swirling the water around the bottom of the pot but not causing enough turbulence around the HERMS coil so I removed it and aimed the elbow directly at the coil.  Before I was getting about 1 degree gain in the coil where as now I am getting 3 at the same HLT temp!
  • I stretched the HERMS coil out a little more to also help reduce temperature stratification.




No comments:

Post a Comment