Thursday, February 19, 2015

Test, Test, TEST!



Testing has begun! Here are the things I have completed since the last update...

  • Sight glasses on both kettles calibrated and labeled.
  • Vent fan installed in stainless bowl for vent hood
  • Control panel and vent hood mounted.
  • All the wires have been connected routed including temperature sensors. 
  • Temperature sensors tested.
  • 13 gallon wet test of kettle elements using PWM and temperature controller.
  • All the hoses and fittings pressure tested at boiling temperature.
  • Whirlpool test in boil kettle.
In testing I only found two faults that needed to be corrected.  One was an overtightened hose clamp on the HLT outlet hose fitting and the other was my failure to put a clamp on the HERMS coil inlet.  Due to the proximity of pump #2 to the HLT I am finding that the output hose is tending to kink.  I am thinking that replacing the straight fitting with the elbow type will solve it.  I also found that I am going to need further testing on the boil kettle SSR.  When it is on at 100% on the PWM for more than 5 minutes or so it seems to be sticking in the closed position requiring me to turn off the element to reset it.  I guess that is what I get for buying a cheap SSR.  More on this later...

Here is an updated list of things yet to do:

  • Purchase a 10 foot piece of hose and an extra connector to facilitate both filling and draining the kettles and MLT during the cleaning process.
  • Purchase a couple of elbow type quick connects to replace straight ones that are tending to kink hoses.
  • Troubleshoot possible problems with boil kettle SSR.
  • Install outdoor vent and hose to vent hood.
  • Find a way to route cables to keep them up off the floor but still allow me to swivel and move the control panel on its mount. 
  • Do a full run through to simulate a brew day.




No comments:

Post a Comment